This is for all of you Theta Moms who hate to cook. I envy anyone that not only can prepare a dish well, but one who also actually enjoys the process!
I basically try to cook anything that only requires minimal ingredients (those of which I already have in my kitchen). Not only do I loathe cooking, it’s even more annoying to have to go out for things in any given recipe that I don’t already have!
I love pasta and this is a fantastic recipe (not only because I have all of the ingredients in my kitchen) but because it is so EASY to prepare and you will have PLENTY of food left-over for the entire family the next day…which for me, equates to one less cooking day! I can’t take credit for the following recipe. It was submitted to Taste of Home by Vera Soghomonian.
So ladies, give it a shot. Trust me, if I can do it, you can do it!
Time: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 can (28 ounces) tomato sauce
• 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
• 1/2 cup butter, cubed, divided
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 cups milk
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
1. In a large skillet, cook and stir beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, 1/3 cup cheese, allspice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Gradually whisk in eggs until blended.
3. Drain pasta. Add the remaining cheese and butter; toss to coat.
4. Spread a third of the meat mixture in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the pasta, a third of the meat mixture and half of the white sauce. Repeat layers.
5. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly.