Until We Meet Again

Dear My Baby Girl,

As I sit down to write this I have so much in my heart I want to say, it’s hard for me to find the right words. I still can’t believe it’s been a year.

Today.

I am blessed to know that she had the chance to hold your little body.

If only you could have known her longer than six weeks.

If only she could have witnessed you taking your first steps, uttering your first words and watching you smile in delight.

I wish she could hear your laughter and feel your breath.

I wish she could see the joy you bring to my life everyday. I wish she was here to talk to you, to hold you, to love you.

I wish you were able to really know one of the most amazing women that have ever entered my life.

I wish you could have experienced her love for jewelry, a good shoe, and a damn good drink. I wish you could have witnessed her dedication to her family and felt her unconditional love.

I wish you could have spent time with her at the Jersey Shore like I did every summer since I was a little girl. I wish you could have gone to the ocean with her. Fishing, crabbing, I could go on and on…

But as much as I can only dream that these wishes were true, I am comforted in knowing that she is in a better place because she has been reunited with the greatest love of her life.

She has waited 34 years to see your great-grandfather. I know she is so happy to be in the hands of her beloved husband.

She is finally at peace.

You see, your great-grandmother will always be one of the greatest loves of my life.

And I am so thankful that the very last picture I have of her on this Earth is of her holding you.

Now part of my job as your mommy will be making sure that you know her as best as I do through pictures, videos, and stories. Lots and lots of stories…and I believe in my heart she already knows you better, too.

We will keep her in our hearts little girl. Forever.

Love,
Mommy xoxo

You have touched my life in so many ways. Your memory will live on… You have been an inspiration to me, one of the most amazing women that I ever encountered. I love you Nana, and I miss you more than you’ll ever know. Until we meet again…

WIFE, MOTHER, NANA

1919-2008

Comments

1. CoconutPalmDesigns says

I'm new to reading your blog but I just wanted to say this post is so touching. It's a wonderful tribute to your Nana!

Cheers :-)
    Joanne
    - CoconutPalmDesigns

2. Tater Tot Mom says

This is such a beautifully touching post. What a touching tribute to an obviously gracious and beautiful lady.

3. Name: Holly Bowne says

What a beautiful tribute to your Nana. I'm sure she's smiling on you and your family from Heaven, wrapped in the arms of your grandfather.

I recently experienced the loss of a very close friend and had the same cathartic need to express what she meant to me in writing. It really helps in a small way, doesn't it? God bless.

4. Kristin says

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute! In the last few months of my grandfather's life, my little man brought him such joy. I'm glad that I had him in time for my Grandpa to be able to spend some time with him!

5. Tonya says

What a beautiful post! I have such special memories of my grandparents and am really sorry that they didn't live to see my children and that my children didn't get a chance to know them.

6. Just Breathe says

Heather, I am so sorry for the loss of your Grandmother. You have done an amazing post, she would be so proud. ((HUGS))

7. The Jacobsen Family! says

What a wonderful tribute…
    Thanks for making me cry!! =) Reminds me of my grandma's who've passed on… And wishing my kids had been able to meet them. I'm blessed to be able to share so many of those wonderful memories with them though, and so happy they are making wonderful memories with their grandma's & grandpa's…

8. Frugal Vicki says

Oh, honey. There are tears in my eyes. I don't know if you know this, but my son was scheduled to be born a few days after my very best friend my grandfather died. We rescheduled the induction, but my son was to be born anyway, and I missed my grandfathers funeral. I KNOW they met, I SEE my grandfather's spirit in my son. Though we knew they wouldn't be together for too long, it is harder than we thought isn't it?
    My heart is with you!

9. Molly says

What a sweet tribute. I am so sorry about your loss. I struggle still with the death of my grandma the year before Cooper was born. I so wish she got the chance to meet him.

10. The Working Mama says

Oh, my goodness. I started tearing up while reading this. My two year old is luck to have two sets of great-grandparents still, and I hope she gets to know them for a little while longer. Thanks for sharing.

Following you from MBC.

11. Ronnie says

What a beautiful post! I lost my grandmother while I was pregnant with my oldest and I sooo wish she could've seen him. We'll see them again someday….the great ladies in our life. Hugs.

12. Trac~ says

Awww… this brought tears to my eyes – I have missed my grandmother terribly and she's been gone now almost 6 years – she, too, was one of my most favorite people in the world. Sending you lots of hugs for your loss. xoxoxo

13. our b life says

That was such a wonderful tribute to her. What a blessing you have to of had her in your life. I have no doubt your daughter will know her well in her life too.

May her memory keep you smiling.

14. Flory says

Wonderful tribute to your grandmother, whom I was fortunate enough to have met and spent time with. You can definitely keep her memory alive with tributes like this one, and stories, lots of them.

xoxoxo,
    Flory

15. JUST ME, THE MOM says

What a beautiful tribute, grandmothers hold such a special place in our hearts and memories, there's just nothing or no one quite like them . . .

Kristin

16. Brittany at Mommy Words says

Heather that is such beautiful post. It is so true there is a special place for nana's. The words and pictures are just gorgeous!

17. G-Zell says

Girl I am balling right now… what a sweet tribute to your nana and wonderful sweet post!

Hugs and kisses to ya girl!
    Grissell

18. Shmedlee says

Beautiful. My great grandmother never got the chance to meet my son, but I think often about how much she would have love him if she had.

19. Heather says

That was so very beautiful. Awww and how wonderful that you do have those memories, and a picture with you Nana and your sweet baby girl.

Thank you show much for sharing it with us

20. The Grown-Up Child says

What a beautiful post, Heather! I also had a grandmother who died shortly after my son was born. Everyone speculated that she held on just so she could meet him.

I think they're probably right.

21. says

Ahhhh that makes me just bawl. I lost both of my maternal grandparents this year. It was horrible but they had 16 years with my kids and there is nothing like knowing your kids had memories of their great grandparents. Who they dind’t meet was my Mee Maw. She died in 1992, 3 months before I was pregnant with my oldest son. It still makes me sad to know that she never met him. But then again, I think she met him before I did?
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..Holiday Help! =-.

22. Big Boops says

Very touching post! My daughter is 14 mons. and her GREAT GREAT Grandmother is still alive and watching them interact is truly amazing. It just brings the reality of what impact we can have on this earth into perspective.

Just found your blog and really like it. Good work!

Trackbacks